BTOSC Approved club skippers are appointed to take charge of each yacht that we charter for an event. All our Approved Skippers hold RYA Yachtmaster Offshore or Yachtmaster Coastal Certificates of Competence issued by the RYA/MCA.
Club events in the summer may involve setting sail on the Friday evening when crews would need to meet at the Marina around 17:00-18:00 hrs. In the winter months, we would normally set sail on the Saturday morning by 09:00 but we still usually meet on Friday evening.
Before departure from the marina, each skipper will:
- Check the safety equipment, yacht condition and inventory and receive a briefing from the charter company
- Appoint and brief a deputy
- Allocate berths
- Conduct a safety brief for crew members before departure from the marina. This briefing should cover safety hazards below deck and on deck and safety precautions that need to be taken.
The yachts we charter usually have a gas oven and dual gas hob as well as a fridge. Prior to the event, your skipper will usually ask for a volunteer to plan some meals and buy groceries for the event. It is also usually at this point to ask the crew about any allergies, food intolerance or preferences. Generally, unless meals ashore are pre-planned they are prepared and eaten on board.
Your berth fee generally does not cover:
- food and drink consumed aboard or ashore
- harbour dues or berthing fees
- fuel (Gas is usually included)
Onboard expenditure such as that above is split equally between skipper and crew.
Check with your skipper if you are unsure about anything.